Note: Recipe can also be made using Bluefish
Salt and pepper the fish lightly. Rub 2 tablespoons of the butter over the fish. Use the remaining tablespoon to butter a baking dish large enough to hold the fish in one layer. Place the fillets in the baking dish. Preheat the oven to 400º.
Peel the tomatoes and remove most of the seeds. Cut the tomatoes into medium dice. Mince the garlic. Roll the basil leaves together and cut them crosswise into thin strips. Mix the tomatoes, garlic, and basil together. If you are using dried basil, crumble it and mix with the tomatoes and garlic. Spread the mixture over the fish and salt and pepper lightly.
Pour the wine over the fish. Slice the scallions on the diagonal and place them around the fish.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Test for doneness with the point of a knife. The fillets should be just opaque in the center. Sprinkle the fish with the grated Parmesan, if desired, and glaze it under the broiler for 1 or 2 minutes. Serve very hot.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds rockfish (or bluefish) fillets, skinned
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, about 12 ounces
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 2 or 3 large basil leaves, or 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 3/4 cup dry red wine, such as Maryland Cabernet
- 4 scallions, trimmed to about 4 inches of green
- Garnish (optional): 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, freshly grated